Wednesday 26 September 2012

Macbeth Act 1 - Character profile!

For this third part of Act 1, I have picked Banquo to create a character profile:

Banquo

So far, in the play, I know very little about Banquo.  I know that he is a good friend of Macbeth's and that they were both victorious in a battle with the Irish.  It is on their way back from this battle that Banquo and Macbeth run into the weird sisters (witches) and they are told the strange riddles about their future.  Apparently Banquo won't be King like Macbeth will be, but instead Banquo's sons will be king!

I think Banquo will have a strong part to play in this story.  He obviously is important to the plot and to the resolution of the play.  I hope that Macbeth and him are able to solve these strange riddles from the witches, as I am very interested in seeing how this will all pan out.

So far his character seems good, in that he is a good, loyal fighter for King Duncan, and he is a good loyal friend to Macbeth.  He is also a valiant warrior, and someone that can be trusted.  He wants to know more from the witches "If you can look into the seeds of time, And say which grain will grow and which will not, Speak then to me"(I.iii.58-60)

I think that Banquo will be the "voice of reason" in the play.  He will be the one who will try and keep Macbeth in line, to keep him honest.  He will be the character that Macbeth will be compared to. Overall, so far, I like Banquo and think he is a good character to connect with.  I look forward to learning how he does throughout the rest of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment