Wednesday 26 September 2012

Macbeth Act 1 -- First Thoughts




What do I know about Macbeth so far?  Well lots, as I have been teaching this play for over 9 years now!  But to pretend I just started reading the play, I know that it takes place in Scotland, many hundreds of years ago.  I also know that it is one of Shakespeare's "Tragedies" and that there will be violence, death, and much heartbreak.

After reading the first act, I know that Macbeth is being told the future by these three weird witches, who tell him that he will quickly rise in the ranks until he becomes King!  This has intrigued me very much, as I am interested in how this will all plan out. 

Normally, I am a little nervous studying Shakespeare as the language can be a little hard to decipher.  I know that there are many opportunities to watch movies based on the plays, or to even go and see a play version of Macbeth.  I've always heard that Shakespeare is meant to be watched, not read, but thats not going to hold me back from reading the whole play, usually while watching a movie version so I can keep track of the characters, the events and what everyone means when they are speaking.

I am excited and anxious about this play and what I will learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment